Saturday, December 31, 2011

Made in China


I realize it has been a while since our last update.  The reason: Parenting takes a lot of energy and makes me tired.  Parenting with severe jet lag makes me want to beat myself about the head with a blunt object.  Parenting does not always leave me wanting to write.  

That does not mean that there has been nothing to write about.  Our week in Guangzhou flew by.  I must say that China really grew on me.  After spending a couple days in Taiwan, my initial impression of China was not especially favorable in comparison.  However, the more time I spent in the mainland the more it impressed me.  The change that has happened there over the past 20 years is unreal.  There are very obvious differences between Chinese and American culture, but I suspect the differences now are much less pronounced than they were a generation ago.  It amazes me what people are capable of building when given the opportunity to pursue their own prosperity.  

Oh, and the food... magnificent!

Last Friday, December 23, we took a train from Guangzhou to Hong Kong.  In the short time we were there we got to meet more of Wendy's family.  One of her cousins is from Hong Kong and speaks English.  It was cool to hear someone speaking English with both a Chinese and British accent!  We only got to spend about 24 hours in HK, but it was enough time to know I'd like to go back.

Through all of our travels Sophia was amazing.  She has now spent over 24 hours of her life on airplanes, and only once did she cry - and then only briefly.  My kid can roll with the punches.  Just give her a xiāngjiāo (banana), and she is a happy kid!





We flew from Hong Kong to Taipei, changed planes, and then flew on to New York - all on Christmas Eve.  Literally the longest day of my life.  With time changes it was a 37 hour day!  Our long flight from Taipei to New York was about 15 hours long, and it was awesome.  I swear!  EVA Air has to be the best airline you've probably never heard of.  The service was amazing.  They really made our flights the easiest part of the trip.

We got home Christmas day about 5pm.  

Since then we've been dealing with jet lag and colds.  Wendy has had the worst of that.  My weird work schedule has gotten me somewhat accustomed to handling big changes to my sleep schedule.  Wendy and Sophia - not so much.  It's taken a week, but I think we are finally starting to settle in to Eastern Standard Time.  

Sophia met Augie, Foster and Bailey on Monday.  We brought home Lucky and Ellie Tuesday.  She was a bit overwhelmed at first.  I doubt she'd ever seen a dog or cat in person before.  

She's getting used to lots of kisses from lots of dogs.  

They're getting used to harvesting crumbs, scraps, and spills from the dining room floor.




She also loves learning what to call things.  Sophia is repeatedly asking, "who is this" in 
Chinese. Here she is learning the names of all the pups!

Oh, and the kid loves noodles.  I think noodles are more of a staple in Harbin than rice, and Sophie is certainly a fan!



We are so in love with this kid!

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Love the videos of Sophie's "new adventures"! She is so adorable! May 2012 bring many blessings to your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're so glad you all made it back home safe and sound. Sophie is adorable. Have a Happy New Year! Bert, Nanine & Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you guys! These videos are a joy to watch:) much love, Shea

    ReplyDelete